PowerISO and TuneUp

I recently installed PowerISO to open a couple of .daa files. Along with PowerISO came a program called TuneUp. I think it is an AVG program that streamlines your computer. ThreatFire, a security program that watches for suspicious behavior instead of just looking for know bad files, notified me that something was trying to write to my system folder. I quarantined the file and looked closer at it. Apparently, all I did was quarantine the part of the program that actually does anything, but the user interface still installed. In the UI it said this is a "Suggested Program" from PowerISO. I had already uninstalled PowerISO since I had done what I needed with it. I tried uninstalling TuneUp but couldn't find it in the Programs and Features section of the Control Panel. I tried just deleting the files, but that didn't work because some of them were running. So I tried rebooting my system, just to see if that shook anything loose. I didn't. All I got was a black screen with a mouse cursor. It moved, but there was nothing to click. I Googled a few things, nothing to conclusive, so decided to go into repair mode (reboot and press F8 after the BIOS gets done). I did a system restore to a few days ago and everything came back like normal.

Thank you to the folks at ThreatFire for letting me know this foistware was on my system. Shame on you PowerISO and TuneUp for being, well, evil. I will never install PowerISO again.

Comments

Popular Posts