Macbook Pro and HDMI Audio

Back in October I bought a 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display. As much as I have railed against Apple in the past, this is a very good laptop. Well built, thin and light (and it isn't even Apple's thinest and lightest!), with an amazing screen!

There are some quirks though. The wifi sometimes has to be reset in order to connect when coming out of sleep mode for one.

The one that bugs me the most has to do with audio switching from the internal speakers over to HDMI. I usually use a monitor that has no audio, and use HDMI to connect it. But the other day I was in class setting up for my presentation. Instead of simply connecting the HDMI cable and having everything "just work" to quote Steve Jobs, I had to click on the volume icon in the task bar while holding the Option key, then select the output. So instead of having my presentation already to go when I plugged in the HDMI and having a smooth transition into my Keynote presentation, my classmates had to see my desktop for a while.

This just feels unprofessional to me. Every other device I can think of automatically sends audio out the HDMI port when it is connected to a display that supports audio. Fortunately I had tested the system a few days before and had time to find this little "bug". I took my computer to the Apple store and they told me that is normal behavior. Every time I search online for this all I can find is people saying they have had to work around this behavior.

Like I said, I love this laptop. There are equivalent computers on the market, notably from Asus, but they are rare. Apple, please fix this. Please at least give me the option to change this.

Comments

Popular Posts