The first step...

So I have taken the first step to switching all of my communications to Internet Protocol based forms. I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to have a data only plan for my next phone and use Google Voice with an app like Groove IP or Spare Phone for phone calls. Well I thought that since my phone is with Sprint and they are closely tied with Google Voice that I wouldn't be able to disconnect that number like you can any other number you use. But you can. (I am sure this is new, I could have sworn there was a grayed out check box before.) But I did it. Google Voice no longer dials my phone when a call comes in. It goes straight to Groove IP. I am trying them for a while. I am going to go back and forth to find the app I like the best, but it is working. I am taking my first steps.

I guess I was inspired by the recent launch of Dragon by Space X. They are the first private organization to dock with the International Space Station. It the first step for them to doing something huge, namely a private company running supplies to the ISS for NASA. So I decided I needed to take a step on one of my projects I have been planning for a while.

I still have a year left in my contract with Sprint, and a lot can happen in that time. Google Voice may no longer be free or go away all together. I will have to figure something else out then. But for now the test has begun. The first step is taken. (Wow, that kind of sappy.)


Comments

Popular Posts