T-Mobile Battery Issues

I have an LG V-10 on T-Mobile's network. First of all, I love this phone and I love this network. The phone is a little big, but that is the only bad thing I can say about it. T-Mobile used to have a fairly limited coverage, but I can't even say that anymore. I have coverage nearly everywhere I have needed it. Great service.

This past week my battery life had slowly gotten worse and worse. I didn't know why, but I will tell you now it was the T-Mobile app. I tried a number of tricks, turning off data and GPS, uninstalling recent apps, rebooting the phone often. Nothing worked. I was getting close to wiping the phone and starting over but decided to look more closely at the problem.

I used System Monitor to check my CPU usage and found one of the cores was being used at just about 100% while the others were down around 30%. That is not normal. I found another app called OS Monitor that would break down the CPU usage by app. Normally the operating system takes most of the system resources which makes sense. However, the T-Mobile app was taking most of the CPU, about equal to one core worth of the total.

Since this app is installed by T-Mobile I can't uninstall it, but I can uninstall the updates to it. I did that and the problem went away. It has been a couple of days now and I haven't had any trouble. I even reinstalled the latest update but haven't opened the app. Hopefully, this will be a good long term fix.

Update:
Well, since writing that post a few months ago the problem did come back. My phone would hang for a second or two after waking it up, was lagging in places it shouldn't have, and was generally getting very annoying to use. I tried rebooting and uninstalling other apps but had no effect. I uninstalled the update to the T-Mobile app, rebooted, and my phone was back to its old self again.

Next time, if I remember, I am going to try just clearing the data and cache for the app to see if that has any effect.

T-Mobile, please fix your app.

Comments

Popular Posts