Splashtop Remote Desktop software

I recently purchased the Asus Transformer tablet computer and it came with a program from Splashtop that would share my desktop's screen with the tablet while I was on the same network. It was pretty cool, sending not just a very clean video interface but including the audio as well. I could lay in bed and watch a video that was on my desktop at full speed.
I was so impressed I started looking into what other services this company provides. I found out that they have a version of their app that will do the same thing but over the Internet. This was great! In addition it was on sale for $4.99. I couldn't resist. It works great as well. I was at work the other day and from my tablet was able to watch a movie I had on my computer at home and it played back smoothly! Audio and all!
A recent update to the app will make the mouse on the remote computer follow the mouse on my tablet. The Asus Transformer has a track pad and a USB port that supports external mice. Since Windows and Mac use the mouse passing over something as a trigger for events (like help dialogs) this is really handy.

Now, it is hard to recommed the software, however. There is no security. It starts off fine by using Google Talk to set up the connection, so the program is as safe from intruders as your Google account is. (You do have a secure password on that, right?) After that everything is sent in the clear. No encryption. I use it from time to time but not for anything that I don't care somebody else seeing. Do I think somebody would want to see my traffic? Probably not. However this program should NOT be used for logging remotely into a corporate intranet because, basicly, it isn't secure.

So, bottom line, it works great for getting that paper you forgot to email and have on your computer at home or for watching videos and playing music from your compuer at home. (Use of a SECURE local area network for things that need to be secure should be fine as well.) Anything else and I would use LogMeIn on Android or GoToMyPC on iOS.

Comments

Unknown said…
If you need a secure unattended support session with fast video streaming, check out the TurboMeeting iOS app, though to use it you need an account on GoMeetNow, GoSupportNow, or on an R-HUB or MXmeeting server.

Popular Posts